Project Bread's FoodSource Hotline


Food assistance in 180 languages

Hotline Hours





Yellow Stars

Get Help

Help for immigrants

Many non-citizens are eligible for SNAP, such as those who have worked in the United States for a certain amount of time or have come into the United States with a particular immigration status. SNAP is not considered a public charge and will not impact your immigration status.


If you do not have documented immigration status, you will not be able to apply for yourself, but you may be able to apply for other eligible household members.

Children born in the U.S. and those with legal permanent resident status may receive benefits even if their parents do not have documentation.

Non-immigrants (those on student, visitor or diplomatic visas) are not eligible to receive SNAP benefits, but may apply for other eligible household members. Even if you do not meet the immigration status for SNAP, put your name on the application first if you are the head of the household and are applying for other eligible household members.

Immigrant application rights

The Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) must provide you with an interpreter. If you want to bring your own interpreter to your interview, you can, but it cannot be a child under 18.

If you do not want to give information about your immigration status, you can tell your DTA caseworker you cannot provide that information. Your caseworker will stop asking you questions about your status.

For more information contact Project Bread’s FoodSource Hotline at 1-800-645-8333.

You can also find more information on Mass Legal Help about eligiblity for legal immigrants. 

Chat Now with a Counselor

The best way to get support and apply for SNAP benefits is to contact our hotline counselors. Use the Live Chat feature below to speak to a counselor right now or call Project Bread's FoodSource Hotline at 1-800-643-8333.